Friday 17 May 2013

The institution of marriage should not exist!

In June 2012, at a Sydney Writers Festival discussion on the question on gay marriage, the Jewish-American lesbian journalist, Masha Gessen, said this:
"It’s a no-brainer that we should have the right to marry, but I also think equally that it’s a no-brainer that the institution of marriage should not exist... [Cheers from the audience]

Fighting for gay marriage generally involves lying about what we are going to do with marriage when we get there because we lie that the institution of marriage is not going to change and that is a lie.

The institution of marriage is going to change! And it should change!

And again, I don’t think it should exist...

I have three kids who have five parents, more or less, and I don’t see why they shouldn’t have five parents legally...

I met my new partner and she had just had a baby, and that baby’s biological father is my (Jewish) brother, and my daughter’s biological father is a man who lives in Russia (Jewish?) and my adopted son also considers him his father... I would like to live in a legal system that is capable of reflecting that reality. And I don’t think that’s compatible with the institution of marriage."
Well, you heard it here, folks. This class act wants marriage destroyed and she sees same-sex marriage as a step along the way towards achieving that.

She, and presumably a great many others just like her, (those that cheered her 'marriage should not exist' comment, for example) are lying when they say they want equality with the rest of us. What they want is the destruction of yet another of our sacred institutions.

I think it's about time we told this particular minority and their strident advocates in parliament and the media where to go, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment